Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Interview...

i had my interview today. I think it went pretty well. Now I have to decide whether or not to take the job if it is offered. Boy, I'm not sure. There are some red flags going up in my mind. It will be a paycut, I'm not sure how much yet. The strange hours. And here is the biggest issue I have with it. As I was sitting there filling out paperwork and waiting for the guys to come down and get me, I got to see a lot of the people who work in the shop. They said there are 160 people on the day shift. The atmosphere is very masculine. This is a shop. Big machines are used by big men doing manly things. Very testosteroney. :) I'm not sure how I will fit into that kind of situation. I'm not a flamer, it isn't that obvious that I'm gay. But I really don't know how comfortable I will be in this place. I know its not fair to generalize, butI will anyway. These kinds of places and guys are usually not very gay friendly. I have worked in warehouse environments before, with big guys doing big guy things, and it's kind of like a lockerroom. Fag is the worst insult available. I may be making more out this then necessary, I don't know. I think it is fair to step back and think about this. The culture of the workplace.

There are pluses too. Even though the shift is weird, it is only a 4 day week. If I don't go in until around 4:00, that gives me a lot more flexibility with school. There are lots more classes available during the daytime. I worry about not being able to join others and do things as much. I know! I'm doing that right now, but it is an option. And I plan to start. I swear.

Tomorrow I go in for a second interview with a small company like I used to work for. It would be doing pretty much the same thing I did for the last 6 years. I'm too psyched about that. But it would be easy, stable, close to home. I probably wont have to take a paycut. There's something to think about.

Ahhh. I don't know what to do...

No comments: