Sunday, March 26, 2006

An uncomfortable observation

I was looking at the Live Journal picture page a few minutes ago, there are 40 pictures at a time(link on the side), and I came across 2... photos that were kind of related. At least in my head. And my reaction to them has me a little puzzled. I will describe the pictures.

The first one was of a late term abortion. It was a fetus all bloody, on a white towel. Obviously late term. My reaction was mild, I am pro choice, but I don't like late term abortions. I think there should be time limits as to when you can't abort a fetus. My personal opinion. I saw the picture, registered it, thought that's not right, and moved on to the next picture of a kitty. All in about a seconds time. Then I scrolled down to some more pictures.

The second picture was of a baby seal being clubbed to death in Canada. At this picture, I felt outrage. I clicked on the picture and went on to read the Reuters article about it. My anger increased. "What a horrible thing they are doing. Killing these baby seals by clubbing them and skinning them alive," I thought. I was upset by the thought of this going on in 2006. How fucking awful.

I went back to the live journal page and continued looking at the pics. As I was waiting for the next page to load, I realized what a different reaction I had, and it puzzles me. I have outrage for a baby seal, but only mild discomfort for a fetus. This doesn't seem right to me. I feel uncomfortable with this realization. Is there something wrong with me? Am I a cold hearted bastard? I don't think so. I'm not really sure what my point is. It was just a weird observation of self. I thought I would share.

...

1 comment:

Deano "aka" Jimmy Joe Meeker "aka" Fat Elvis said...

Interesting...I am really disgusted by pictures of a dead fetus, but I to recently went to this PETA site and watched a video of some guys getting fur for coats off live animals and had this jaw dropping "sick to the stomach", "wanna kill these bastards" response. Why so much more for the animals and not a dead human baby?..dont know....you really got me thinking on this one.