Saturday, August 05, 2006

Bo & Hope...

Today I was walking around the Fred Meyers, I needed a bar of soap, but nothing else, and I felt like a tool just buying a bar of soap so I browsed for more things to buy. I didn't find anything, just the soap. But that's not the point. As I was walking around singing to myself with the music that was playing, an old familiar song came on. The love theme from Days of our Lives for Bo & Hope back in the eighties. "Tonight I Celebrate My Love for You." It was about halfway through and I was looking at ironing boards when I noticed what song I was singing. It was one of those instant time travel memory experiences that happen when you hear the right song. At least for me. Immediately I was back to being a kid, watching Days with my grandmother. It was our favorite story. (Who knew I would turn out gay, there were no signs) I remembered so many things in that instant. Like when Bo came in and stole Hope away from that DA guy she was going to marry. Took her right out of the church and roared away on his motorcycle. Bo's mullet. Bo's beard. Bo isn't my type, but he was attractive.

There was a woman on the show named Kimberley, and she was with the guy from the Nanny. I don't remember her relationship to the other characters. I think she was Roman's sister. Anyways, I always remember her because my grandma hated her, and every time she was on the TV my grandma would say" I just wanna kick her in the snatch."

My family still laughs about that. Anytime we are all together and someone does something wrong or says something stupid, that line comes out. And we laugh.

The other song that really takes me back is "Let's Hear It For The Boys." That was the summer I was 13. Lots of things happened that summer. I stayed with my oldest brother and his first wife for 2 months. It was during this summer that I was introduced to marijuana. We went over to their friends house and they wanted me to go away, so they gave me a large butter tub full of pot and a pipe and a bong, and put me in this little tiny alcove where there was a stereo and headphones and more cassette tapes than I had or have since seen. I remember having a very good time. Then the rest of the summer was spent in the pursuit of the high.

But the specific memory is of cleaning their apartment while they were at work with the radio blasting this song. I was dancing and singing and having a great time. I always go back there when that song comes on.

I was going to post about first crushes. I came across a website devoted to River Phoenix. My god, he was special. I loved him. He was going to be mine, I just know it. Fate kept us apart. Alas, maybe in the next life.




Oh yeah, I think I may have figured out how to post a link in an entry. I'm going to try it out now. Hope it works. I got a mailer to join a gay book club. So I did. If you join you get 4 books for $.50 each, plus shipping. Then 3 years to buy 2 more books at regular price. Standard like all those kinds of clubs. I like reading books that pertain to the gays. So if you want to, take a look.

TEXT

1 comment:

jeff said...

so close... I know what to do now... I should actually put some text in where it says "TEXT" :)